Sunday, October 9, 2011

One Week Down

I have now been in jolly old England for a week.  And what a week it was been!  After about 21 hours of traveling, I finally made it to my flat in West Winch.  All during that time I was awake.  And when I finally got to my flat I was wide awake and so I decided to go do some grocery shopping and see where I would be working.  I think I was up for about 30 hours in total! 

I happened to be in England on one of the hottest days ever for October. And of course I wasn't really able to enjoy it because I was pretty much a zombie.  The weather didn't stick around too long.  It is now back to being overcast with sprinkles.  Although it is still in the 60's which is nice.

It took me until about Wednesday until my body began to make some sense of the time change.  So, I elected not to try driving until then. 

Driving.  I'm not sure why the English felt the need to drive on the left side of the road.  Makes me wonder if there are more lefted handed people here.  But really, driving hasn't been that difficult.  Although the lanes are a tad bit smaller here.

Interestingly enough, I am now on my third car.  The first car I was given to drive, I got in one morning and the check engine light came.  Don't know why, hoping it's just one of those fluke things.  It is going into the shop tomorrow to be looked at.  The second car I was given has a bit more interesting story.  I was heading home from work ready to start the weekend.  Apparently, I was in a lane that some truck wanted to be in.  He went on ahead and came on over.  I got pushed up onto a curb and in the process slashed the tire.  Once I was able to pull the car over...which isn't easy to do here, I called into work and got the UK version of AAA out to change the tire.  So, why that car is getting a new tire, I was given my third car.  Busy week, car wise.

There is lots more to share, and I have pictures to share as well.  I'm just having a few issues with uploading them at the moment.  So, hopefully by next post I will have that worked out.

Cheers! 

5 comments:

  1. Glad you survived the first week! Remember while you are over there it is a lorry not a truck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the driving on the left side of the road came from way back in the days of knights. the jousters would hold the joust in their right hand. and that's where driving on the left side came from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One week down, glad to hear you made it through. I love hearing about your journey. At least when your car broke down you were close by and not off exploring somewhere. Love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an exciting and exhausting week! have you been able to explore much? Hope your have a dashing time :)

    dont forget my crazy hat :)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete