Friday, October 21, 2011

Routines

Every work day I wake and get myself ready to go.  And of course I always make a cup of tea to take with me!  Once I'm ready I head out to my car. I am now back to driving the first car I was given.  Apparently there was something wrong with the exhaust.  For those of you who are wondering, it's an Audi A3 TDi, manual.  It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to switch gears with my left hand.  Although the car likes to tell me when it thinks I need to switch gears...very annoying!

However, I still think everyone looks odd sitting on the other side of the car.  And I  have to really think about turning onto the correct side of the road when there aren't any other cars on the road. 

Before I have even made it off of the property, I have to open and close this gate every time I come and go!  It's going to be oh so much fun to do that in a downpour.  But it is nice to have that added security.




Everyday I get to drive through this!  It kind of freaked me out the first time I went through it.  It is called South Gates.  There is only one, however it is referred to in the plural because to the arches.  Apparently King's Lynn once had extensive walls and South Gate was one of three gates that guarded the towns entrance.  A gatekeeper was elected every year to keep out any vagrants or strangers, and let in people who “could give a good account of themselves.”  I know quite a few people who wouldn't be able to get into the town back then! :)


Once I have made my way through town, I make my way to the office.  This is just one of the buildings that belong to Bespak.  There are a total of 5 different building.  I have know been working here for 3 weeks.  Time really has flown by!  I feel like I am only just now getting my feet under me. 

Everyone here has been great and very friendly.  I was warned before I came over that the English aren't the most social of people, but everyone that I have met has proven to be the opposite.


I have been given a tour of all the buildings and the thing that stuck out most to me were the break rooms.  Each building has a break room, while the main building has a cafeteria.  You can only find soda machines in the cafeteria.  All the other break rooms only have tea/coffee machines.  I just found that really odd.  Although, the longer I work here, the more sense it makes.  About once an hour someone in my area makes a run for everyone to get some tea...or rather they agrue over whose turn it is! 

I am starting to get out and do a bit more on the weekends.  I'm going to visit my first castle this weekend!  I will get pictures of it posted soon.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I liked your account of the South Gates ... something I guess I took for granted when driving through them. :)

    Enjoy your tea, and of course the Audi ... Grrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your car! Glad to hear you are drinking tea in the morning, what kind? That is what I drink every morning. Love you and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the South Gates; time to petition the city of Noblesville to put some up. :) How cool to drive through those every day! Dang tea machines; I'm sure they are to blame for the demise of the Tea Lady!

    ReplyDelete