Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dublin - St. Patricks Day

What could be cooler than being in Dublin for St. Patrick's Day?!  Nothing that I can think of!

My Aunt Jo and cousins Courtney and Tyler were over visiting for the week leading up to March 17 for spring break.  Since they were already going to be over here, Tyler wanted to go to Dublin for that weekend.  The rest of us thought that sounded like a good idea.

We landed in Dublin on the 16th and headed to the hotel.  We were actually staying in a town outside of Dublin called Leixlip.  We were a little concerned that it wasn't within walking distance of Dublin, but it turned out quite nicely.  It was an easy bus ride there.  And the best thing for us, their bar is open 24 hours!  So when we got there which was a bit late, we all had a few drinks.  I, of course, had a Guinness and Smithwicks ale...when in Ireland!  We stayed up to ring St. Patricks day in properly.

Later that morning we got up and caught the bus into Dublin.  After stopping off to have breakfast and do a bit of shopping before it got too crazy, we headed over to the parade route.  The one thing we forgot to do before we left was to find out what time the parade started.  We ended up waiting about 2 hours for it to start.  While none of us were overly thrilled with waiting that long, we knew we had too.  How could you not see at least part of the parade?!

While we were waiting we met a couple from the Chicago area that were there on their honeymoon.  It was nice to have to some friendly people around to talk to. Not that other people weren't friendly, but the closer it got to the start of the parade, the crazier people got.  People kept trying to get in front of us after we had been standing there longer than them.  At that point in time we were NOT going to give up our spots!

While holding onto our spots, the parade finally started.  However, this wasn't what I was expecting the parade to be like.  I was thinking it would be Irish in theme with shamrocks and leprechauns...you know, St. Patrick's day stuff.  Instead, the best way to describe it is to say it's like a Tim Burton film...very odd, yet kind of cool.


They also had a lot of things we Americans are use to having in parades...marching bands.  What I didn't realize, but wasn't surprised by, was that they were American high school marching bands.  I can only imagine how cool it was for those students to be there!  Although I must say that I'm glad I wasn't a chaperone for the them! 

We didn't stay for the whole parade, as we wanted to check out some things around Dublin before all the crowds got there.  I think the several rows of people behind us were glad to get a closer view!  What we did see was very cool and I'm glad that we got to see some of it. 

This was my second trip to Dublin and I love it just as much as I did the first time.  I know I haven't written about it yet, and I will.  I just wanted to write about the parade as close to St. Pattys day as I could. 

I hope you all had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!  I know we sure did!



No comments:

Post a Comment