Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Stonehenge


One of the must see places that was on my list while I am here in England was Stonehenge.  And I have now been there twice.  Once while my parents were here and once while my sister was here. 

When I went with my parents, it was part of a long weekend that started with us going to Hever Castle.  I made sure we got fairly close the day before so we only had to drive about 45 minutes before we got there.  When we woke up that morning it was a pretty sunny day. Unfortunately it didn't stay that way.

I had always heard that Stonehenge is in the middle of nowhere...and it really is.  You start off driving over a hill and once you are at the top of it, Stonehenge just appears a little ways off in the distance.  I was thinking that we were going to have to take some back roads to get to it, but it is off a main road.


Once we had parked and got out the the car, we could tell that the temperature had drop and I was glad that I had my winter coat with me!  We made our way over to the entrance, paid and picked up our audio tour when the rain started.  And it was a cold rain at that!  As I said to my parents...welcome to England!


We stuck it out anyways and listened to the audio tour.  Lucky for us it wasn't pouring, so that made it easier to stick it out.  It was pretty interesting to listen to the history.  I won't get into all of it here as I know there are hundreds of websites that offer up way more information than I could.  But if you do make it here, I highly recommend the audio.  It is free to use with your price of admission.

The second time I went, the weather was MUCH better!  (In fact, all the pictures that are on here are from the second trip, except for the picture of my parents bundled up!) This time I went with my sister Holly and we just decided to make a day trip out of it.  We went on a Tuesday, so it wasn't very busy when we got there.  This time though, instead of having only a 45 minute drive, it was about a four and half hour drive.  Stonehenge is on the other side of London from where I live.  I know it seems crazy to drive that far one way just to see a bunch of rocks in a field, but it is consider one of the wonders of the world, so why not!
Holly isn't as interested in history as I am, so this time we didn't listen to the audio guide.  We just walked around and took a lot of photos.  You can't get close enough to touch the rocks, (well, you can if you are on TV!) but you can get pretty close to them.  Much closer than I thought you would be able to.

I am thrilled that I got the chance to see this wonder of the world in person!  And it didn't disappoint.  It was pretty impressive. Although, no disrespect to my parents, but I enjoyed it a lot more when I went with my sister.  Although that is only because it was a gorgeous day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment